Growing up I heard tales of the Snow storm of 82′ and every once in a while when we sifted through old photo’s we’d stumble across pictures of snow trapped cars and dad standing in front of a mountain of snow with shovel in hand. This was no “I walked to school, uphill, both ways tall tale”; It was actually a one-in-70 year event.
Where I grew up they received a record 20 inches of snow and in the St. Louis area they recorded 13 inches. With the recent “Snowmageddon” it brought back stories from anyone who experienced the storm of the century, which I happened to miss. So this time around it is with excitement that I run to the window and pull back the blinds to see if it’s a snow day!
10 INDOOR ACTIVITIES TO GET YOU THROUGH BEING SNOWED IN
- TRY A NEW RECIPE – I always enjoy taking a culinary tour, but this time I ventured to a recipe I would typically overlook because of its’ familiarity. The perfect snowed in recipe is a classic beef stew and this one did not disappoint. I always add my own twist and I encourage people to modify any recipe to their liking. Try Beef Stew with Parmesan Dumplings from Simply Delicious. I added two extra carrots and celery stalks and added salt and pepper to taste.
- BECOME A MIXOLOGIST – You’re going to need a cocktail to enjoy that amazing new recipe you just tried and let’s face it you’re not going anywhere in this snow. If you are looking to try a new recipe, or create a non-alcoholic beverage, you can easily find the perfect recipe by following my Housewife Cocktails board on Pinterest!
- PAMPER YOURSELF – Run a bath, light some candles, and leave your worries behind. If you don’t a have a bathtub, rejuvenate your skin with an at home facial. Try this one from Blue Skies, Sunshine, and Coffee
- CLICHÉ – Grab a blanket and some warm cocoa and curl up fireside to a book. There’s nothing like turning the pages of a good book and escaping the weather through a story.
- THIS WEATHER IS FOR THE BIRDS – Actually our feathered friends could use a snack and with three simple items (pine cone, peanut butter, bird seed) you can create a treat. Simply spread some peanut butter on a pine cone and roll in bird seed. Hang this homemade ornament from a natural perch like a tree and watch the birds flock. Now you can bring bird watching to your own back yard and enjoy from the comfort of your home.
- TACKLE THE HONEY-DO LIST – Everyone has a DIY project whether it’s hanging some shelves, a fresh coat of paint, or some pre-spring cleaning. I’d rather be inside in this weather and enjoy the great outdoors when the mercury rises.
- GET ORGANIZED – Organize that closet or clean out your kitchen pantry. When are you going to have this kind of time on your hands again? If you have kiddo’s at home let them help and make a game of it. Have some fun, crank some tunes, and you’re organized by the end of the day.
- WRITE A NOTE – It’s almost Valentine’s Day and just because I’m an adult doesn’t mean I don’t love making and sending cards. Send a hand written note or card to someone and you will make their day. Instead of opening bills they can open a friendly message in the mail.
- MOVIE NIGHT – Make it romantic or family friendly. You don’t have to be at the theatre to try some gourmet popcorn. Try this recipe for Cinnamon Roll Caramel Popcorn from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us. Let the kids have fun in the kitchen first by creating their own batch or if it’s romance you are looking for curl up next to your honey.
- I JUST CALLED, TO SAY, I LOVE YOU – Remember that time before texting when people talked on the phone? Call your Grams to say hi or catch up with a relative that lives a far. Brighten someone’s day and keep in touch.
I am a beach girl at heart and prefer warm weather, but I have recently become fond of this new-found precipitation. I encourage others to take advantage of this rarity and breathe. Enjoy the moment and do all of those things around the house you want to do but never have the time to.